We regularly invite UK and international filmmakers and speakers to talk about documentary and their craft. Subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about upcoming events. Many events are recorded and you can watch highlights from our masterclasses online.
In association with the Cameo Cinema we are delighted to be hosting a screening and Q&A of the Sundance winning documentary RETURN TO HOMS. Director Talal Derki and producer Orwa Nyrabia will be in attendance as part of their UK theatrical tour of the film. The Q&A will be hosted by …
SDI/documentary events at EIFF: With the 68th Edinburgh International Film Festival kicking off this month, and the exciting programme now on release, we thought we would take the opportunity to list some of the events we are involved in at this year’s festival. We have our annual Edinburgh Pitch, …
Don’t miss out on the only international documentary pitching forum in Scotland and a great networking opportunity! Now in its 8th year, The Edinburgh Pitch is running alongside the Edinburgh International Film Festival (18-29 June). Independent filmmakers and companies developing and raising finance for creative feature documentaries will pitch their …
Join us for a screening of David Graham Scott‘s latest feature documentary Iboga Nights. After the screening David will be present to answer all your questions, and talk about his process with an extended Q&A. Iboga Nights (a followup to David’s earlier film, Detox or Die) explores the effectiveness of the psychedelic plant …
Join us for a discussion with award winning filmmaking Jessica Oreck at Edinburgh College of Art. Jessica makes projects large and small that instill a sense of wonder and invite viewers to question their relationship with the natural world. Her award-winning first feature-length documentary, Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo, premiered at SXSW, played …
Join our own Scottish-BAFTA-winning Emma Davie for a screening of her feature documentary I Am Breathing at Edinburgh College of Art. After the screening, Emma will talk about the making of the film and be ready to answer any of your questions. Anyone welcome! FREE but places are limited so please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org …
Dutch director Aliona van der Horst has directed four international-award-winning documentaries. Her unique point of view is something that haunts audiences long after they’ve viewed her work. Beautifully crafting films that have been compared to the likes of Werner Herzog and Terrence Malick. Her most recent film Water Children is …
Jeremy Weller will talk about his artistic journey into film and how he plays with reality and fiction.
Tracie will discuss her films and her work as fundraiser, her collaboration with Women Make Movies, a US distribution company focusing on films made by and about women, and the challenges women are still facing nowadays in the industry.
Join us for an evening of Scottish short documentaries to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Bridging the Gap.
We are thrilled to open our new season of masterclasses in Glasgow and with Alan Berliner, one of America’s most acclaimed independent documentary filmmakers.
- Date: 02/22/2013 Time: 14:30
Want to know more about storytelling, narrative strategies and film structure?
Join us for a masterclass with Arash T. Riahi, award-winning writer, director and producer specialised in fictional and non-fictional dramaturgy. Friday 22 February (2:30-5:30pm)
- 0 Comments
- Date: 05/28/2012 Time: 14:00
How would you like a co-director credit for a feature length documentary that will tour Scotland and play in cinemas? Or the chance to win cash awards of up to £2500? Find out more: come along to a unique filmmaker only session at ECA on Monday the 28th of May at 2pm.
- 0 Comments
- Date: 06/19/2012 Time: 09:30
Observer passes are now available for the Edinburgh Pitch, the only international documentary pitching forum in Scotland. Independent filmmakers and companies developing and raising finance for creative feature documentaries will be pitching their project in front of an international panel.
- 0 Comments
- Where next for crowdfunding – is staged finance the answer?“Staged financing must become the film business’s immediate goal.” – Ted Hope, September 2013 Over a series of blog posts I’ve been looking at some challenges that film and documentary are dealing with online. In a conclusion to the series looking at what can be done, I explore the limits and opportunities around crowdfunding. Crowdfunding’s lack of sophisti […]
- Diaries from an intrepid filmmaker (17)A safe canoe The intrepid filmmakers are coming home When we first got to Bubaque from Bissau, our ferry got lost and took over 12 hours to get us to its destination. Yesterday we heard that this boat had broken down half-way through and people had been stranded without food or water for over 24 hours, only to be towed back to Bissau. So no boat for us... We […]
- Diaries from an intrepid filmmaker (16)No matter how experienced you are in documentary filmmaking and all things African – no shoot is like any other. And in particular, this shoot is like no other. Trapped in what has been described a 'closed society' – the Bijagós archipelago – Noé Mendelle struggles to find some sense of balance between traditional and modern influences. When a blog […]
- Diaries from an intrepid filmmaker (15)The island of Uracane This is our last trip to another island. Time is running out. I m not looking forward to another camping trip. Despite constant attention, the spots on my legs are looking like craters and are all getting infected. My toe is still home to a worm farm and starting to look beyond repair. God knows what my Edinburgh doctor is going to make […]