Scottish Documentary Institute is appointing a new director to lead the organisation and its Board of Trustees. We are seeking an exceptional candidate and are inviting applications from individuals with the commitment, experience and attributes to lead our organisation.
This is a great opportunity with a fabulous company. The Director is the executive leader of our organisation, with the equivalent of the combined authority of Artistic Director and CEO.
SDI has a committed Board with membership drawn from across many industries and public life, an excellent and hardworking team, a good financial position, a global reputation and a unique commitment to the promotion and the development of documentary form and talent in Scotland and internationally.
The Director is responsible for the development and execution of the Institute’s strategy, operations and fundraising. You, and the team, will deliver impact based on the strategy and the annual plan. At the same time you will stay ahead in your understanding of cultural and societal movements in UK and relate these to relevant movements in the rest of the world.
This is a moment of unprecedented change and challenge for the organisation and the wider culture sector, particularly in managing the long- term impact of Covid-19. This role is, therefore, an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about documentary. The successful candidate will support the next chapter in the continued success of SDI.
What we are looking for?
- Insight: You understand, and take a creative interest in, societal and cultural developments in the World. You are an astute businessperson, an effective communicator and advocate.
- Leadership: You have a proven and impressive track record of strategic leadership. You look ahead. You know how to measure impact at a programmatic level and you are daring enough to take calculated risks on individual projects.
- Networks: You are skilled in building and maintaining cross-border, and cross-disciplinary, networks which last, and which make an impact. You can develop innovative partnerships which help sustain this impact, and which underpin successful fundraising. You should be able to mobilise a network of influencers at the highest levels and command respect amongst national and international decision-makers.
- Execution: You are able to manage funding from multiple sources and steer parallel projects.
- People Skills: You have sufficient experience and the confidence to lead a small, efficient team of top professionals and interns. You are committed to equality, accessibility and transparency.
- Qualifications: You are fluent in written and spoken English. You have a Master’s Degree or higher.
- The Director is recruited on a two-year contract. The office of the institute is in Edinburgh.
- Write/compile papers/agenda/news
- Attends Fundraising Committee & occasionally finance Committee
- Co- write Directors’ (annual) Report
- Liaison with HoF re project budgets, cost reports, margins and overheads
- Responsible for Budgets for Docscene, Right Here, Stories
Always on the look out for new projects: creating & fundraising
- Docscene: in liaison with Head of Talent.
- Bridging the Gap: Liaison with Screen Scotland. Come up with & promote theme, inspiration sessions, selection for shortlist, workshops, Pitch & selection for production, Executive producer 5 films, mentor to alumni filmmakers
- Materclasses/Events/ Zoom Coffees – set up events & host them. Coordinate joint events with festivals
- Phenomenal Women – curate films in conjunction with EIFF & panels (did not happen in 2021)
- Edinburgh Pitch – contact panellists, buyers/decision makers to attend, project selections, host the pitch workshop & host the event.
- Right Here: interface with BBC & CS, inspiration session, selection for shortlist, development of ideas, Coordinate pitch, selection for production, producer for 3 films, manage production manager, supervise cost report.
- Stories: interface with British Council UK and any other relevant country, develop content of Stories workshop, deliver workshops, producer of films, create materials, write blogs etc.., coordinate with local partners, coordinate with distribution, presentation of films at festivals, coordinate website, Cost Reports
- Connecting Stories: interface with British Council UK and any other relevant country, develop content of scheme, select panel, participants
- 50:50+ campaign: collaborate with HoT & HoF on ideas to promote and fundraise for the campaign
- New Voices: collaborate with HoT & HoF
- Consultancies bi-monthly: 3-6 consultations
- Delegations – occasional participant selection
- Annual staff review
- Staff welfare
- Manage recruitment processes, interviews, dismissals
- Employment contracts
- Away days
- Interface with ECA
- Covid regulations
- Office space
Vision, Policy & Strategies
- Co-Vision, Business Planning, EDI Strategy
- Co-Write & set policies
- Contribute to Comms, Newsletter & Campaign Strategy
- Industry news & relations
- Write occasional blogs or newsletter sections
- Representing SDI at SDI Events, panels, talks, industry events, festivals, juries
- Representing SDI on FOCUS, UK Doc-group, UK Doc Council, DAE (Documentary Association of Europe), Edinburgh BAME network Screenskills, Filmhouse
- Representing SDI at ECA/UoE, reports, negotiations
- Industry sessions
- Public speaking
- Inspire SDI and doc community
- Create identity for SDI
- Make sure people working at SDI feel happy and work as a team
- Overall Vision and Strategy for organisation
- Creation of new projects
- Reports as required
- Diversity & green champion
- Recruits new board members
- Visa Debit Card for SDI
Please apply by 11th March 2022